The Old Vicarage School was established in 1933 as an independent, fee paying day school for boys and girls. The school is a family run business, acquired by the Adshead family in August 2007. Matthew and Jenny Adshead are the sole and current proprietors and their children attend the school. Today the Old Vicarage School welcomes pupils aged between 2 ½ plus and 13 years.
Located in the World Heritage Site of Darley Abbey, the building is steeped in local history with connections to the Evans and Strutt families, both prominent in the Belper and Derby areas and at the Mills on the river in the centre of Darley Abbey. Prior to 1933 the beautiful, late Victorian building was used as the Vicarage for St Matthew’s Church. The School celebrated its 75th Anniversary in 2008 and 80th in 2013 with many events and a very special luncheon for some of the original pupils from the 1930s and 1940s.
On entering the school from Church Lane one is struck immediately by the safe seclusion of the environment. The many varied trees and shrubs provide an enviable rural beauty yet within a mile of the City Centre. The school grounds are extremely well tended and extensive enough to afford all children opportunities for a full range of organised games and general recreational activities. The all weather astro turf provides a great break time space and can host football, netball and sports activities through out the year. Tennis and Netball are also played on the court adjacent to the open lawns. The former Conservatory is now used as a further resource for nursery activities, assemblies, drama, gymnastics, Choir and Orchestra ensembles and a plethora of engaging after school activities such as ballet, karate, speech and drama amongst others.
We also make use of a number of excellent facilities off –site which include Derby Rugby Club, Darley Cricket Club, DW Soccer Dome, Willows Sports Centre, Darley Abbey Village Hall stage, The Robert Ludlam Theatre and St Matthew’s Church for various activities and events.